Cherry Pie : My love of magazines

23 March 2015

My love of magazines


Ever since I can remember I have loved magazines. If I remember correctly the first ever magazine I bought was Shout and since then I've been hooked. I started off with the likes of Shout and Girl Talk magazine (oh my God Girl Talk was amazing!) and as I grew up got more into the older, teen mags and music magazines. I have a collection of Kerrang! magazines in my Mum and Dad's attic and built up quite a stack of Glamours, More!, Companys, Cosmopolitans and a lots more.

I loved magazines so much that I went on to study Magazine Journalism at University and had dreams of graduating, moving to London and working on a glossy magazine. I did graduate but dreams of moving to London didn't happen as I realised it wasn't as easy and glamorous as my teenage self thought it was. I did do internships at a couple of mags, which is another post entirely, and to this day, still love flicking through a magazine.

As a youngster, reading magazines was such a great experience. I'd love picking up copies of my favourites every Friday when we went shopping. I loved the articles, the stories and as I got older I enjoyed the fashion and beauty more and more.

While the Internet and blogging has changed magazines hugely, it hasn't changed my love for them. There's still something really relaxing about flicking through the pages and I get a lot from magazines that I don't necessarily get from websites/blogs. I probably need to branch out a bit more but with the blogs I read, it's usually reviews on products and blogger's personal opinions on them and while that isn't a bad thing, I do like how magazine's do things on the beauty front. Talking about what's new, what's being used on celebrities and runways and showcasing different looks.

There are some really well-written, thought out blog posts out there but magazine's give me juicy articles to sink my teeth into and learn from. They have really upped their game when it comes to writing about important issues around the world too and that's something I really enjoy reading.

As the blog industry surged, the magazine industry definitely took a back seat and many people say magazines will become extinct in years to come, but personally this isn't something I believe will happen. I think girls/women like myself will always enjoy having something real in their hand, to pick up and put down as and when they please. It's also so nice to put down the laptop/switch off the phone and pick up a magazine.

What are some of your favourite magazines? Let me know in the comments.

Incase you didn't know, I've become the resident beauty blogger over at Magazine.co.uk's The Hub so I will keep you updated on any new posts over there.
SHARE:

11 comments

  1. I love Heat and Cosmopolitan, I think it's so nice to read without looking at a screen.

    GreyWalls 

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always been a magazine lover too. I'm in U.S. and my favorites are Elle and Glamour. I've looked into ordering European magazines but they're so expensive to get here. I wish they weren't because I think they would be even more interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw that's a shame you can't get hold of them!

      Delete
  3. OMG Girl Talk was one of my all time favourite magazines, I used to treat it as my Bible! I've not read a lot of magazines over the past couple of years as blogging has just taken over. This post has really made me miss mags though! xx

    Grace | Glitter and Carousels

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like cosmo and prima but mostly buy craft mags as thats what im in to at the moment =]

    emyii90.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow congrats on the new writing job, I love magazines but definitely think they have moved online I read glamour on my phone a lot xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love magazines, and you guys in the UK have thes best! Would love to read your thoughts on your internships.

    Congrats on your gig!

    MsBubu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh great, will hopefully get a post written on Internships soon! Will definitely post a link when it's live.

      Delete

I love receiving comments and I will always try and return them - if you're wanting to leave your blog link please make sure you leave it correctly. Don't contribute to broken links!

© Cherry Pie . All rights reserved.
Designer Blogger Template by pipdig