Cherry Pie : Rediscovering my love of reading

24 June 2016

Rediscovering my love of reading

Rediscovering reading

Ever since I was little I have absolutely loved reading. I have saved all my childhood books (I'm not quite sure why) in a huge box that I can't lift anymore and I have stacks of the things on my shelves in my living room but over the past few years I guess life has taken over and reading has been pushed to the side quite a bit, so much so that I was picking up a book but just couldn't get into it anymore. I would keep getting distracted, skim reading and just generally not enjoy it. With blogging, the internet in general and working full time the chances I got to read were pretty few and far between until very recently when I picked up Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins.

Now, this post isn't a review of the book but it's about how the book got me back into reading. After years of picking up and putting down books and being unable to really get into them, this book changed it all and I literally couldn't put it down.

My mum had bought The Girl on the Train and literally read it within two days (she absolutelt whizzes through books, even reading more than one at a time!) so I borrowed it from her and one Sunday afternoon I decided I'd give it a go. Before I knew it I was chapters into the book and loving the way it was written, from the different character's point of view.

I finished it probably within less than a week and it was one of those books where I could read it on the sofa, with the TV on and with Vince chattering away, yet I could still concentrate on it. I managed to block everything else out and get lost in this whole other world, which is why I loved books in the first place.

I also know when I really, really love a book because once I've put it down, I literally can't think of anything else and I'm constantly waiting to just pick it up again and get stuck in again.

I found that I made time for reading with this book. When I'd usually pick up my laptop and browse the internet, I would instead pick up my book and curl up with it on the sofa. Having previously read a lot of YA fiction in the past, it could be the change of genre that really did it for me - perhaps I was getting tired of the fluffy stories and needed something a bit more grown up to really open that door again to wherever my love of reading went in the first place.

This post is a bit rambly and I'm not quite sure what the point of it is but I felt like I wanted to get my thoughts down somehow. I am now so much more determined to read more and make more time for reading in general. I want to discover new favourite authors and genres so if you can recommend anything, please let me know in the comments.

SHARE:

9 comments

  1. OOh great book choices, Girl On The Train is good - deffo page turner :)

    Sophie x

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Girl On The Train is such a fab book - I couldn't put it down either!

    Lucy | Forever September

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really lovely and thoughtful post Cherry! I want to read ‘Girl on the Train’ too, it sounds amazing but I just haven’t got round to it. I noticed you have Me Before You in your stash, I recommend this if you haven’t read it already. This year I’ve been trying to get into reading more too, I use goodreads to document my progress. I’ve just started to get into booktube which is a book lovers community on YouTube, I find this motivational too. I’m currently reading ‘Don't Even Think About It’ by Sarah Mlynowski and although it’s a aimed at people younger than myself, it’s really funny and easy to read. :-) xx

    Helen | Helens Fashion & Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely going to have to look into Booktubers! Thank you for your lovely comment!

      Delete
  4. I'm so happy you've rekindled your love for reading! I've never read the Girl on the Train, but I've read a lot of positive reviews on it. I'll have to check it out some time :)

    Kathlyn | www.kathlynskorner.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome blog! I'm still waiting to have that "a-ha" moment with another book, because I do really miss reading. I also have stacks upon stacks of books all over my house. Except I just can't bring myself to touch them and its kind of heart-breaking haha.

    Always,
    Char.

    forgedopulence.tumblr.com

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving comments and I will always try and return them - if you're wanting to leave your blog link please make sure you leave it correctly. Don't contribute to broken links!

© Cherry Pie . All rights reserved.
Designer Blogger Template by pipdig